Friday, March 25, 2011

A prayer...

            The young man couldn’t wait to take his inheritance and go. He was ready to make his own decisions and make his own way. Surely he knew better than his father.

            When he was finally free, he squandered all of his money on the pleasures of this world. He had everything he wanted, right? He didn’t even think that there might be a possibility of a famine coming. When it did, it was a huge blow to the young man. He had nothing left. He had made his own plans and his own rules and had ended up with nothing. He even had to share food with the pigs.

            There must be something better than this, the young man thought. I was treated much better at my father’s house. It will be embarrassing to go back and ask for mercy but at least it will be a place to live. I don’t care if I have to work my way back up, it will be a roof over my head. I doubt my father will take me back but at least I can try.

            When the father saw his son returning, he cried and jumped for joy. His son had seen the error of his ways. His son had wanted to make his own decisions but had realized that ultimately, life was better in his father’s house.

For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” Luke 15:24

******************************************************************************
           

Father,
           
            God I have been drifting. I have started to get consumed with school and planning for the future. I have stopped pursuing you. I notice it in the way I treat my students. I am quick to get angry or be annoyed. I don't love on them unconditionally like I used to. I can see it in the way I consume my time with reading fictional books rather than your Word. God, I need your presence back in my life. I don't like who I am without you. When I start to rely on my own works and take credit for things that you do, I get dark and moody. I don't smile as much. I have seen so many beautiful works of your hand and I have started to write them off as ordinary. God, nothing you do is ordinary. When I consume my thoughts of the future, I miss what you are doing in my life right now. I trust that you will take care of everything when it needs to be taken care of. But when I worry, I am practically saying I am not sure if you are enough for me. God, please forgive this wandering heart. Thank you for always being there, ready and willing to take me back like the prodigal son that I am. Bring me back to you.

Your daughter,

Callie

1 comment:

  1. ughhhhh i miss you so much!!!

    I needed this too!!!! love love love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete